Wednesday, December 17, 2014

12-13-14 Event of a Life Time

As I slow down my caching career, I do intend to stay involved with my attendence to area events.  Right now, I have desire to travel much past 50 miles for an event.

The event did grab my interest, I have gone of my way to grab caches by this cache owner, where most are interesting.  Being it was in an out of the way location I was very suprised with the high turn out.  Since the weather was pleasent, many of the cachers hit the Land Between the Lakes area.  Minnie Mouse and myself didn't leave home until mid-afternoon and went after two nearby caches:  KYGT Kenlake State Resort Park and Moonshine.  At Kenlake state park we visited the lodge and briefly spoke to the staff about geocaching and we may return to the area to try out their archery range once I purchase a crossbow next year.

The event was at a restaurant and like events at those type of locations it's difficult to mingle around.  Since I was not the host, I didn't have the obligation to mingle.  In those types of settings, conversation is normally limited to those sitting nearby.  We were the first arrive and about 15 minutes later, we were joined by shoot25, the explained they were very new to the game and attending their first event.  Next to join us was kat-as-trophy, I had recalled seeing the name on a few logs that were emailed to me.  I had the impression that I was sitting by some very new cachers.  kat-as-trophy reported she is residing between Gleason and McKenzie, which is not far from home.  When I read the logs of the event the following day I was overcome that I was not speaking to a new cacher, but someone with as much or more experience than myself, but wondered about why she asked how to log a trackable.  In years past, I kept track of geocaching profiles but with so many phone cachers running around, the cache a few days and quit, I don't pay much attention.  I researched more of the profile and she has over 4,300 finds.

For the most part of nearly 10 years of caching, I have been the numbers leader in Weakley County.  My only competition was from littleluckyclover from about 7 years ago.  Now I wonder about my semi geo-retirement.....

No comments: