Thursday, December 11, 2014

Trip to Panama City Beach, Florida

We had discussed a trip to Florida the last two years.  Browsing hotel rates, I found making the trip in summer time was very expensive.  I have seen friends of mine in Facebook make the trip in October and found through those people, hotel rates were less expensive, tourist shops with discounts and overall crowds were lower in number.  We timed our trip with minie mouse's fall break.

We left for Nashville on a Friday for the airport and were aided in transportation by two Nashville area cachers which saved us over $75 in long term parking.  Our flight was rocky on the way to Florida as the flight detoured around a storm.  We arrived after dark in Panama City Beach and walked around the area of the hotel.

As for caching, I didn't have any set priority other than grab caches in any county I was visiting.  While in Pier Park, I picked up a skirt lifter, 10Ring.  The next day, I walked a 1/2 mile from the hotel on a foggy morning to grab an earthcache RIPS.  It was a nice earthcache but since that access to the beach is privately owned, I would like to see the cache moved to a public access.  Or at least provide coordinates of the nearest public access.

Following day it was raining and we drove around the area.  We traveled to St. Andrew's State Park and found Gator Lake and we did see an alligator at the lake.

Next day, we drove west and using my phone, I found Paddle your "Tuck" off.  We enjoyed seeing some of the country side west of the main tourism areas.

Day of our depature, we drove east and southeast to visit tourist areas that are more the the quiter types and I would find this area more desirable than Panama City Beach.  We did find a Civil War related cache, called Confederate Salt Works and cache at the location where Florida became a state, ORGT:  Constitution Convention Museum State Park.

While in Florida, I colored in the counties of:  Bay, Walton and Gulf.

No comments: