Friday, December 12, 2014

Duck Season

With possession of the Tennessee Lifetime Sportsman Hunting/Fishing License, I've been duck hunting on two occasions, but by invitation from experienced duck hunters.

I have always been facinated by the stories from peers who were duck hunters and wanted to experience this sport for myself.  Last year I was invited to a private blind between Sharon and Sidonia, TN.  On that day, we saw a few ducks but not able to take any shots.  Prior to the hunt, I did purchase a duck call and after blowing it a couple of times in the blind; other hunters asked that I put the call away and return when I have more experience.

Last weekend was a hunting weekend for me.  Saturday evening I did attempt to get another deer.  But, nothing came around and the hunt was eventful due falling when a gate that I've crossed more than a dozen times fell taking me with it.  I did suffer a strained neck and sprained left wrist.

Following morning, I got up at 3 am in order to meeting a peer duck hunter in Camden, TN at 5 am.  My neck was sore, but I was more concerned for my wrist.  I use a pump shotgun and a painful wrist will make shooting very difficult.

We arrived at the boat put in place, I won't call it a landing.  My partner had to drive his 4X4 truck into the water to unload the boat in the dark.  The others accomplished that duty while I put on my hunting coveralls and chest waders.  We boated into the Tennessee River to the blind that is located on an island.  I did observe the area for possible future geoacaches, but I feel that it would be difficult to maintain since this location is over an hour from home.

We settled into the blind before the sunrise.  I was amazed from the other duck hunters of their experience that they could see the ducks in the pre-dawn light and know the species.  We shot at ducks all morning to after 9 am.  Two of the hunters left for church services and two of us stayed for about 45 minutes later as we attempted to bring in Canada geese.  I ended up going home with one canvas back duck.  Overall, the group shot down about 7 ducks.  I did hit two but I could only take home one canvas back.

After hunting season last year, I hit some area stores for end of season clothing and equipment.  Best purchase was the insulated hunting coveralls for about $60.  At Gander Mtn. in Jackson, I scored on the 5 mm chest waders for just over $100.  The duck hunt last weekend was the first use of the waders I could not complain.  While the waders are difficult to walk in due to being so new; I was able to help load the boat since I could walk in water that was over waist deep.

No comments: