Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Hickery Dickery Dock

In years past, Madison County in Tennessee would provide about 25% of my total finds.  It's normal for this cacher to pass through that county on business trips to Memphis, Somerville and Pinson.  The geo-face of that county has changed over recent years with many of the old crew giving up the game for one reason or another.  One cachers, lookingUPward, a transplant from another state has saturated much of Madison County and some surrounding areas.  This saturation has frustrated this cacher since in years past, would attempt to clear out areas.  LookingUPward basically places a cache, receives a few finds, archives and then sets up a new cache, typically the same container.  Rarely does he obtain permission which has led to some problems between cachers and local community. Thankfully, at this time, law enforcement has not intervened.

With the high saturation, I found found that attempting to filter between something worth going after and geo-trash is frustrating.  Just going through the site at Project GC, I discovered I was missing out on some great caches.  Using that website and observing the favorite points of caches, I have set up a personal bookmark to track and eventually find those Madison County caches worth finding.


Hickery Dickery Dock has many favorite points, however, very few finds.  I paid particular attention to the location and noticed it's behind the Home Depot store, maybe that was the reason for the name?  I will use aerial photographs to see the best approach and instead of driving to the back of the store, I went on foot, which paid off.  Made the find very quickly and went about my business, making no attempt to disquise what I was doing so if asked, I had nothing to hide.  Cache owner did a great job in set up of the cache and feel he did obtain permission for the hide.

No comments: