Monday, April 23, 2012

CITO with Elite Company

This past weekend, I attended my first CITO (Cache In, Trash Out) event in nearly four years. Being a cacher with over seven years experience and nearly 3,500 finds, I am embarrassed that it's been so long that I attended a CITO. I saw the Ghost River CITO published and soon afterwards logged a Will Attend. I forced my schedule to make room for the event.

Arrived at the CITO coordinates to see a large group gathering. The majority of the "Will Attend" folks were there and some others. I saw old friends and chatted with new friends. Even made first face to face contact with some cachers that I am friends on Facebook.

Being the weather had turned cool but would be sunny, I changed to my ACU combat shirt that I used on when on mission in Iraq. The shirt is long sleeve but with underarmor type technology that keeps me from over heating. Changing to that shirt would be the wisest thing I did all day.

We drove to the put in location about six miles away and off we went into the water. The water was up from my two previous trips on this water and paddling upstream would be difficult all day.

I learned more about my kayak and it's uses throughout the day. I also trusted my GPS like never before. About three miles from the end location, I had become totally separated from the group. For over an hour I was alone and followed the arrow to the Spirit Lake exit and then onto the CITO location. It was during the three times I was alone that I nearly tipped over. The first was most eventful, where I listed several degrees and very cold water rushed into my cockpit. I trusted my GPS and was very thankful the cache owner provided the lake exit coordinates. I pondered if I had become completely lost on that lake, it could have been very hazardous. There was no where in sight to bank my kayak and seek help.

Out of the CITO group, I was second to paddle into the exit area. I was tired and had a load of trash in my kayak. It was an hour before I saw the rest of the cachers arrive. All were tired, some were drenched head to toe. I think one managed to flip a total of six times!

All in all, it was a great time and considering the conditions, some wind, cold water and a current drop in temperature, the group braved the elements. I hand it to the new cachers and those who had little experience on kayaks or water to be part of this CITO. I also thank the CITO hosts for setting up this event.

I do regret that some were not able to find all the caches on the river.

No comments: