Sunday, April 1, 2012

Tunica River Park

With back to back appointments at the VA Hospital in Memphis, I decided to stay two nights in the Memphis area. With the first day of exams complete, I headed in the direction of Tunica and find caches in the park located next to the Mississippi River. The day was sunny but, very windy. With the high winds, I thought it would be best to stick to one cluster of caches instead of stopping every few miles for a PNG.

Welcome to Tunica Riverpark! was the first find. What a Drag! was next and I used that area as parking for White Tail Diner. For White Tail Diner, I ended up walking on the road to get to this cache. Since it was a very windy day, traffic was light. Later, I drove to the museum parking lot and left my truck there to find the rest of the caches. Overflow Parking was another fun hide and had to negotiate around water to close in on the cache. I came within feet of Walking on the River but, couldn't figure out the hide technique and my GPSr was going nuts. A crew member of the riverboat had his eye on my and I elected to take my hunt elsewhere.

Started on the trail and found the broken container for Geometrix. Beyond the Trail End Circle, I observed the very busy Mississippi River with many barges in the area. I spent a lot of time at Box Elder Overlook and there my first muggle activity was seen. I did a lot of crawling around at this cache. Hiking behind the muggle hikers, I left the trail without them noticing for Name that Tree. Oxbow Cutoff was much easier than the similar hide at Box Elder Overlook. Final cache of the day was Batture . The cache was at this park during my first visit in 2008 but, at this visit, I didn't have time to hunt this cache. It took a long time to locate this cache since it had floated away from the GZ during last year's flood. After reading the logs, I went out about 60 feet and made a circle and found the cache.

Since, I had been to Tunica on prior visits, I knew the limits of the fast food places. I didn't want to go to Paula Dean or Sam's Town buffets since I have been to both before, I set the Nuvi for the Horseshoe and had the inexpensive lunch buffet. After a fine lunch, I headed back to the motel and prepared for more exams at the VA Hospital.

No comments: