Saturday, April 7, 2012

Shooting in Sanford, Florida and Geocaching

By now, everyone had heard or read about the shooting in Sanford, Florida. While the shooting has nothing directly related to geocaching. In a way it is related. I generally cache alone and rely on my Nuvi to auto-route myself near the cache. There have been times my auto-routing has taken to residential areas where there are neighborhood watch signs. I sometimes wonder when I am driving or walking through the area, who is watching me? Myself, I have had about three negative encounters with muggles. Most of the other encounters have been positive and some apathetic. Sometimes caches go bad, even some simple P&G parking lot caches with over 100 finds have been detonated by bomb squads. Early in my geo-career, one of mine went bad. Lessons were learned.

This cacher thinks that more description in a cache page is helpful to include coordinates for parking and trail heads. Cache owners should know the area and if something isn't right, let the future finder know that information such as, not parking at this location. Or, approach the area from this direction.

When this cacher obtains permission for a cache and it is placed, property owners or managers of the area ask me who and when will they come find it? It's a good question, but inform them that once a cache page is published, I have little control of who or when anybody will visit.

No comments: