Sunday, March 1, 2009

Geocaching after a Winter Storm

Last night I watched the winter storm roll into the West Tennessee area and viewing the radar; I saw that Madison and Haywood Counties were being slammed. Facebook posts by -boatman- and EverywhereActs1:8 were verifying what I saw on the radar. After hearing a radio announcement that church was cancelled, which was not true, I decided to ready myself for two 4-star terrain geocaches on wondered how difficult they would be in the deep snow. While researching the geocaches, DHCPA29 posted on Facebook that there was little accumulation of snow in Paris, TN.

With the mission a "GO", I went out and crossed the river at Paris Landing to go after the most difficult, The River is Wide. After crossing the river, I turned south on a gravel road. I had been down this way before, summer before last to scout an area to view the 4th of July fireworks. I parked below the cache and looked up the monster of a hill to climb. Just as DHCPA29 reported on Facebook, there was little snow on the ground. I took off after the cache stopping about every 40 feet to catch my breath. Elevation change was just over 150 feet and was very steep. I climbed to the top of the ridge, again for a breather. Looked at my GPS'r and saw I was within 10 feet. Looked to my left and there it was; the ammo can covered in leaves. Signed the log and headed down the hill. My left knee began to give me some problems, thinking I need to take more Glucosamine, but made to the bottom and onto the next geocache.

Next geocache was Lost Creek Cache V2.0. There was a cache on the ridge a long time ago, I found it during my first LBL cache run in October 2005. My military training has benefited me to read a topographical map and I knew where to park to make this cache easy. I parked onto of the ridge line and strolled the .20 mile to the cache. It was a nice and relaxing walking in the woods and enjoyed finding this cache as much as finding the first Lost Creek cache.

No comments: