Sunday, March 8, 2009

Maiden voyage of the kayak

With my next three weekends tied up with church activity, National Guard and vacation, I have been itching to get the kayak out on the water. I had studied this site to learn more about kayaking. Today, the temps were good, first day I have been wearing shorts, but very windy with gusts up to 31 mph. Observing the weather on the Internet, the wind advisory mentioned the wind would die down about 6 pm. I headed out to Garrett Lake, about 25 minutes away about 5 pm. The lake is run by TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency) and not meant for pleasure craft. I had my fishing license and a fishing pole to please the game warden. Arrived on the south part of the lake and the wind had changed directions from the southwest to coming in from the northeast. Wind were very gusty and making small white caps. I knew that putting in the water there would not be a good idea.

I drove to the north side of the lake and the woods shielded the wind and put the kayak in the water. I used my new GPS mount to observe my speed. This was my maiden voyage with the Pelican . This is the second time playing around on this type of kayak. Last year, I used an inflatable 2-person kayak. My experience with the inflatable is that I got soaked every time I used it.

This time around, I didn't get wet and didn't touch the water. I spend about 30 minutes of so on the water seeing how fast I could go, which was 3.0 mph. The kayak can turn on the dime and was steady even with the wind kicked up. The above website mentioned never to hand onto the kayak in rough water and it was true. Let the paddle settle the boat down.

Overall, I think it was a good idea to head out today and experience the kayak in a somewhat stressful situation. I have some lessons learned. Such as not using my arms so much, rely more on torso to paddle. Also not to over paddle, this created problems with keeping a good heading. Also need to get my confidence up. Attempted to look behind me and felt the kayak loosing control. Need to overcome this problem for long geocache runs since my water/food/supplies will be in the cargo hatch in the stern.

No comments: