Sunday, March 15, 2009

Paintball

Before I left for Iraq in 2003, I was into the sport of paintball. I got into the game in the summer of 1989, while in the US Navy stationed in Puerto Rico. I played at a field near where I lived in Fajardo and really enjoyed the game. When I returned to the United States and attending college, I took up the game and played in a small field in Gleason, TN. I quickly learned that playing paintball on the college budget and lack of spare time, this hobby would have to wait, even through I purchased a pump rifle. After returning from a combat tour in Saudi Arabia, I played sparingly at a field in Beech Bluff, TN, just outside of Jackson. Didn't play as often as I wanted, spare time and distance were enough to detour me. Thinking it was the end of the game for me, I sold all my gear, it was too expensive and not enough spare time.

After one Christmas, I had several Wal-Mart gift cards. Seeing that the prices of guns, gear and paint had really dropped since the last time I played in the mid-1990's, I bought a semi-automatic Brass Eagle gun. Used the Internet and found two places to play, one in Mercer and another in Humboldt. I started playing again. I played in Mercer several times, and really liked the game of speedball. I took the youth from First Baptist Church of Dresden to the field a few times. Later, I got word that a group played in a backyard field in Martin, TN. Got in contact with the ring leader and I was playing many weekends in Martin. I played up to the point I went on active duty in 2003. I had even upgraded my equipment with a semi-automatic Piranha. Returning from Iraq in 2004, I lost contact with the group in Martin and the field in Mercer closed. My gear gathered dust while I took up the game of geocaching.

Since my return from Iraq, I did get asked my youth on occasion about playing paintball again but the only field I found was in Memphis about 2 hours away. I was informed by a church member that a paintball field opened in Paris, TN. Place is called Adrenaline Paintball.

Yesterday, 26 youth and 2 adults from First Baptist Church of Dresden played at the field and had a great time. The field is most unusual that it is all indoors and simulates urban warfare. I found myself in the 3-dimensional battlefield. Oppose forces were above, side to side, in front and behind. The only aspect of real urban warfare missing was movement through sewers. I had to use a rental gun in that my old Piranha would not fire but enjoyed playing. I refused to play inside the building. During the safety brief and tour, the floor was very slick and I risked being injured if I went into the building.

Today, I debate whether or not to re-enter the paintball game. One of the aspects I enjoy about geocaching, I play when, where, most any weather, daylight or dark, alone or with others, at my choosing.

No comments: