Monday, August 26, 2013

Cachin' in August Part 3 (Disaster Relief)

After completion of the 50+ run of Southern Illinois and Western Kentucky, I was driving around Martin and when stopped looked at my gmail on my smartphone and informed of a Disaster Relief Mission with Southern Baptist.  I was aware of the high possibility of deployment but have experienced stand-downs when advised of a pending mission.

August 18:  Made a quick slip north of Fulton, KY and grabbed On the Rail ~HWY 51S, an easy guard rail cache.

August 19:  Met up with disaster relief team members in Martin and Dyersburg. I was asked to take my own vehicle due to that I was scheduled to do something the coming Saturday.  Prior to meeting folks in Martin, I quickly found Which Way Again in Union City.  We left Martin, to Dyersburg and then participated in a 2-vehicle convoy towards Waynesville, MO.  On the way, we stopped for a bite to eat and I picked up: Rt66 Mo-Diamonds Are Forever, a cache in reference to the famous Route 66 that runs from LA, California to Chicago, IL.

August 20:  On mission demolishing a mobile home.  Went into town and grabbed, Wire Road Stop, a nice virtual.  Road with local police officer and he knew of geocaching and the virtual.  Later, I returned to town and found Treasured History, a good ammo can at an antique store.

August 21: Was given a mission to grab supplies in town and quickly found Yummy Fun at a McDonald's.  We started at the work site and I really got to know all about Flood Recovery, the art of tearing our sheet rock and flooring.  It was a hot day and didn't wanted to cache due to not feeling well, but decided to go after, Roubidoux Spring Earthcache.  It was good that I went after this cache, I splashed the very cold water on my face to which that helped me.  Everyone on my team did the same, one lady took her boots off to soak her feet.

August 22:  Since I knew we would complete our current job this morning, going to another job and plans to go out to eat, I got up before everyone else and made a before sunrise find at Waynesville/St Robert I-44 Travel Bug Hotel.  While not a hard find, it was tough in the dark even using my Surefire tactical light.

No comments: