Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Using a smartphone for cachin'

Prior to my deployment in 2009/2010, I observed several cachers using smarthphone for geocaching.  Being an owner of many caches, I noticed that emails for cache finds come during the day, instead in the evening when cachers return home from a cache run.  I wondered if I should make the dive to the smartphone.  With my retirement from the National Guard and a VA disability, I have the funds for the date package and invested in an Android phone.  I browsed and downloaded the C : Geo, a free application for geocaching.  It did come in useful when I stopped at a reststop on I-24 outside of Chattanooga and didn't have the caches on my pocket query.  -boatman- began using an iPhone more than a year before I went to the smartphone and he reported that the smartphone application is very useful when one finds themselves with an opportunity to cache that was not planned.  I quickly found that to be a reality.

This past weekend, my oldest daughter used my laptop for a research paper, so I did not have access to GSAK, so all I had was the phone.  I also didn't know the exact plan and with a phone, I could just find caches of opportunity.  In which, we found one in Dover, TN, (Battlefield....Dead End Series Continued).

Advantages: 

Very useful when out and have unplanned time and opportunity to cache.
Everything is on one device, cache page, logs and GPS arrow.
Log the find after signing the log. 

Disdvantages:

Phone is not as rugged as a Garmin handheld, not a good idea to use on or near water or rock terrain.
GPS feature on the phone uses battery charge quickly.
Using applications for a long period will use up the data package. 

No comments: