Sunday, January 29, 2012

7 FTF's!

A few days ago, dalls called to inform me that he has placed new caches off Deep Gap road in a Tennessee Wildlife Resource Area. I told him that I was pleased and especially pleased to hear most were regular size caches. I told him that I would look at my schedule and determine when I would go after the new caches.

I emailed pcsenn of the new caches and after looking at my schedule, I saw I could go after the caches on Friday, where I would work part of the day and take annual leave the rest of the day. Met with pcsenn that morning and he rode with me as I conducted a visit at a contract agency. After the visit, we headed towards the new caches. The caches had been published a few days and since there were no new logs, we figured we had the chance for the First to Find.

South Fork Haunted Hollow, a multi was our first. When we found the finally, we noticed that no one else had attempted the caches and we should have FTF on all the caches. Next was Raccoon Hideout. Took a bit to ind and retrieve the cache. Then we went after Deer Trail, a micro in the woods, but was an easy find. We ventured to the outskirts of the TWRA land and found Turkey Crossing. The best and my favorite was Bobcat Hangout. At this point I was very thankful I wore my Goretex waterproof boots. Even though I was not used to the extra weight of the boots and took a toll on my knee, I really didn't wet feet. I made the climb to the cache and found my boots are slick. So I crawled up the tree. Signed the log and headed back down.
Pcsenn told me at one point to jump, but remembering my ankle injury I suffered last year, I decided to take my time and come down the safer way. Pcsenn was happy to color in another difficult/terrain grid on this cache on his way to the Well Rounded Cacher. Our last find in the area was Possum Hollow. Cache was easy to find, but retrieving cache was very difficult. We headed to Over the Deer V.2 and wanted pcsenn to log that find. However, he was nervous about it and he decided not to attempt it.

On the way out of the woods, we met with Abiecto who was going after the FTF's. He reported that he drove up and saw a truck in the parking lot with a geocaching decal on the windshield and Operation Iraqi Freedom tags and knew it was me.

After caching south of Jackson, we ate a late lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings. This was his first visit to this establishment. I told pcsenn of a few events that were held at this location.

On the way back home, we grabbed the last cache, another FTF at White City-Friends Welcome-Strangers Too.

Concluded the day with seven First to Finds, the most I have ever accomplished.

1 comment:

flame-red said...

I really enjoyed the adventure, and reading about it here. You could have left off the part concerning my timidity though...LOL.