Sunday, March 13, 2011

New PT test

While at Ft. Campbell, KY several days ago, I browsed the headline of a Army Times of the new Army Physical fitness test. Regrettably, I didn't purchase a copy. Searches on the Internet of the new test have not come up with anything concrete, the best I found was this You Tube Video. The new test is supposed to be Army wide by this October. Asking a few people, including AGR's and technicians at this weekend at drill, I discovered I knew more than they.

Current test includes three events. Push ups, sit ups and a two-mile run. Due to a knee problem of a floating knee cap, I have a profile and substitute the 2.5 mile walk that I have to complete in about 36 minutes. For the most part, I start working out about two months prior and use a treadmill. I have noticed the PT test does not equal combat readiness with some much emphasis on running in shorts and t-shirt. It doesn't prepare much for a long road march with body armor, a weapon and ammunition.

The new test will be seven events. Thankfully, the sit up is gone. Since information is sketchy, it's hard to say what the events will be like and how to complete the test. I did notice in the video parts of the test were in PT uniform, others in battle uniform, including body armor and weapon. This leads to a argument, as a member of a transportation unit of the National Guard, we carry the M-16 which weighs 7.8 pounds and is 39.625 inches. My active Army counterpart carries the M-4 which is 6.36 pounds and 29.75 inches when the stock is retracted. Regarding training for combat, it would be better to carry the weapon one will carry in combat. But for a test that is scored and a soldier will be in competition for promotion, the field should be even.

Some other events that I know of; are a casualty drag and an ammo can shuttle run.

I will have to do more to prepare for these events, like carrying a pack while hiking the trails with more water than usual. The geo-kayaking I have planned for warmer weather should help my upper body strength as well.

No comments: