Monday, March 21, 2011

Late Night Visitors

This past Friday night I was at home with the windows up, catching the breeze and playing around on the computer. Saw a car pull up in the driveway, went outside and the car was gone. Noticed the halogen headlights of that car go past a couple of times. Continued on with what I was doing and then saw a flashlight in the yard. I knew then they were cachers coming after What I afraid of? I grabbed my Surefire tactical light and went outside the greet the cachers. Turns out they were DrewsephVladmir, The 40 Foot Pandas and 1/2 of FarklinNinjas, a group from Union City, TN. The found the first stag and then went about entering the coordinates for the second and final stage in their high tech phones. We chatted a bit about the phones being used as GPS receivers. Then the group said their good byes and were headed back to their cars. I asked them to check their receivers and then they noticed the cache was in walking distance. I watched them trying to find the final using the phones that didn't seem to have an arrow screen. One of them ran out onto the highway to re-gain satellite reception. We spoke more about the phones and I mentioned that once their caching careers take them into areas with high tree cover such as Land Between the Lakes, they may want to think about a GPS with better reception.

We had a very pleasant conversion and hope to run into the group again on the trails.


No comments: