Thursday, March 3, 2011

26 Smilies

Last weekend I returned to the southern LBL and found seven caches and one DNF. After entering my finds and pulled up the map, I noticed 26 smilies on the map with 11 to be found. Number has increased this week with the addition about five caches.

First pulled up to Homestead, a nice area for a cache with old buildings, but couldn't find the cache again. Will return sometime. Next was Meteorite Rock, where I redeemed myself a DNF about 2 years ago. I don't see where I went wrong, but it was found. Next was Lickity Split, not being a fan of micros in wooded areas, I was impressed with the hide technique. Thankfully, coordinates were on the dot. Had it been back in the Garmin Legend or Etrex days, it would have been a cache I would have passed up.

I really wanted to get Nuts About Dreadlock Tree since I was in the area. But, I couldn't get close to the cache due to high water on a creek I needed to cross. Looking at my topo map, I didn't see an easy way. Went onto Lake Shore a 3 terrain cache. The road to the cache fit the rating. Parked about .10 from the cache and had an easy walk to the find.

At this point, I began to look at the downhill side of this cache day. I drove up north and worked my way down. Found Welcome to Model, TN, a great cache and great location. Owner did an excellent job researching and setting up the cache page. On my nRoute, I saw how close the cache was to the Trace and wondered about the 3 terrain rating. After a good climb up the hill, I appreciated the 3 star rating.

Now the highlight of the day. Went after Roundtop. Made excuses for myself and was concerned about the 1 mile hike each way and my knowledge of the terrain of the LBL. The hike was much easier than anticipated. Ran into a Boy Scout troop on the way and return trip. Chatted some about the geocaching merit badge. Was a nice hike. Ended the day on the Bear Creek Loop Trail. Found MTCBSA COG Dist Adventures of Scouting #5 and Bear Creek Loop Cache. Prior to hitting the trail, I was tired and hungry, I found the caches and went to a nearby McDonalds in Dover and headed home. With more energy, I would have hiked the entire trail and posted the trail online.

Maybe another time.....

No comments: