Sunday, September 26, 2010

R&R Part Four: Final

Final post of the two weeks of leave from Kuwait and this blog post will focus on some of the caches I liked. My caching begun when my R&R process begun at Ali Al Salem airbase and my favorite was Cache, Log & Email where I introduced two soldiers to the sport. I ended up with five finds before leaving Kuwait. Arrived in Memphis, Tiger130 and bitbrain were there and transported me to Jackson. A couple of the clever hides was in Union City, Water Water Everywhere, But Not a Drop to Drink and Skirt of a Different Color by TeamKC. Spent a couple of days with relatives in Olive Branch, MS, picking up some park and grabs and later two category finds in Overton Park. The following week, I headed to New York. Stayed the night in Ashland City, TN picking up hanging out a wally world and that afternoon I found my first New York cache What a Visita. Those two cache finds on one day, broke my old record of 440 cache to cache miles to about 800. While in New York, the most impressive cache was The Empire Strikes Back, a virtual on the 86th floor observation deck on the Empire State Building. I also liked Riftstone in Central Park which was within sight of The Dakota where John Lennon was shot. One thing I noticed about Riftsone, it's a physical cache with well over 1,000 finds, something I don't run across very often.

Giving Kailee an opportunity for some driving experience, she drove to McKenzie where I preformed cache maintenance and then we went onto Parker's Crossroads Battlefield for The Force was Divided. The weather was not the best that day, but we did walk the battlefield.

On my last day in the United States, pcsenn drove me to the airport in Memphis and we found Aerotropolis TB Hotel and while in Atlanta, a US Navy Officer and myself found A Different Species of Big Silver Bird.

That concluded my R&R trip with 73 finds, adding two to my category grid, kayaking, bicycling, a new state (New York) and caching by subway.


No comments: