Sunday, September 5, 2010

R&R Part One

This is the first installment of a multiple part series of my R&R leave that began on August 15 and ended on September 3. This part will be about time spent with family. Later parts will reflect on travels and geocaching.

We left Arifjan sometime after midnight on the 15th of August for Ali Al Salem where we went through more briefings and instructions about leave. In between briefs, I did manage to find a computer at the MWR and send messages to those who would transport me once I arrived in Memphis, TN and let them know the latest news. About mid-day the lockdown process begun and I went through security and customs. Wisely, I choose not to have any checked bags and only a carry-on. Much of the afternoon was a hurry up and wait. In the early evening we boarded buses for the airport in Kuwait City and then onto the Freedom Bird that took us to the United States via Shannon, Ireland, sleeping much of the way after taking a Tylenol PM. We had a stop in Ireland and I took advantage of the duty free shopping to pick up a few small items. Took off from Ireland and took another Tylenol PM and went back to sleep. Awoke near Atlanta and landed there around 7 am EST. After making calls of my arrival, I proceed to hear another briefing and went through customs....again. Didn't take long and found the kiosk for Delta in an attempt to find an earlier flight. Everything was booked and took my chances on a stamd-by. I was told of a flight to Memphis that was leaving in about 45 minutes. Immediately, I headed for the gate and was able to get on the flight.

Arrived in Memphis about an hour and half-later where fellow geocachers from Tennessee were there to greet me and transport me to Jackson, TN. bitbrain greeted me in the airport lobby and Tiger130 drove me to Jackson where I met my wife. From Jackson, we went home where I saw the remodeling of the house. Much of the work I liked. Since I arrived before school was dismissed, I drove to Dresden High School and picked up my oldest daughter, Kailee. From the high school, we drove to the Elementary School and visited with my youngest daughter, Carolina.

During my stay at home, we did make a trip to Olive Branch, MS to attend a wedding and visit some of my cousins. While in Olive Branch, I treated the family to a dinner at a Japanese Steak/Sushi Restaurant. We also visited the Memphis Zoo and Brooks Museum located in Overton Park in Memphis, TN. I visited Carolina at school, ate lunch with her and spoke to her 2nd grade class about Kuwait and about what we were doing in Kuwait and Iraq. Did take the girls out on a couple of bike rides, one in Wingo, KY and another on the Brian Brown Greenway in Martin, TN. I was also home for Carolina's 8th birthday and did participate in her party. While at home, we attended church at Dresden First Baptist and stayed for the Homecoming celebration.

Stayed tuned for more, which will be of my trip to New York and kayaking on Lake Barkley.

No comments: