Sunday, June 22, 2008

Confederate Ghosts


While staying the night at the KOA Campground at Paris Landing, I took the opportunity to find the night cache Confederate Ghosts. I am a veteran of night caches, three in the LBL and one in Bartlett, TN. However, this was different, I was alone. Near the cache is a Tennessee Historical Marker which I waymarked which referenced the burial place of the Confederate soldiers who died in battle at Ft. Henry.


I found myself needing more up to date maps, I parked at the historical marked and hiked to the cache in the fading light. By the time I arrived at the starting coordinates, it was pitch black. Saw the cemetery and was in awe. A few patriotic Southerners have take the time to upkeep and mark this graves of these fallen soldiers. Being a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and a 20-year veteran of military service, I said a short prayer and thanked these men who stood their posts did their duty and did what they think was right in the War Against Northern Aggression.


Proceeded onto find the cache and quickly found a set of reflectors. Note this is a night cache where one normally has to follow small reflectors to find the prize. Went on and about 200 feet away, the reflectors end. I tried and tried again and nothing. Finally, when about to give up, I called Regnad and he told me of the problem. These small reflectors, sold in the archery supplies are used by bow hunters to find their stands in the pre-dawn darkness. That was the trail I was on. Not deer hunting tonight, I wanted a cache. Regnad told me to turn the opposite direction and I quickly found the other set of reflectors and found the cache very soon. Regnad also walked me to the access road and I went that way to my truck.


I was elated to find a night cache alone and also such a great spot. Next day, I took my family to the spot and took many pictures which I will share with my Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp 323.

No comments: