Thursday, June 12, 2008

Caching in Germantown and Collierville


Having a business trip that would take me to Memphis and later to Henderson, I researched some of the caches, I wanted something interesting but not something hard terrain since I would not be dressed to hit the trails and be hot and sweaty. I was surprised to find a tucked away virtual called A Little History Lesson. It was a remarkable virtual and took some time to investigate the park and take many pictures. Many months ago, I created a topic on the GOWT forums to database all the Civil War caches in GOWT, the responses were few and seemed to be little interest. Maybe one of the reasons, this virtual slipped by me. I have been within a mile of this cache. But, it was found today and in the coming days will be waymarked.


Another interesting cache was Superman's Transition by bitbrain. With the reputation of this cacher and being the cache is a micro, I wondered a little bit. However, I also know this cacher will take me to an interesting place and that it did. I spent a good 20 minutes in the courtyard looking and the monuments, history and the battle history. I had recently read where Gen. Sherman arrived at this location when a Confederate raid was in process and escaped capture or death. That would have been something, Gen. Sherman was the best Union general in the West, after Gen. Grant took command of all Union forces. It was Sherman's tactics of avoiding a drawn out fight by outflanking CSA forces in Georgia that led to the fall of Atlanta.


Only had 6 finds on this run and was happy to include the two above caches in this journey.

1 comment:

SteveSpencer824 said...

Those two are great, alright. I would never have guessed that little Germantown park was back there. Three other good Civil War sites in West TN are GCN253 Old Salem Cemetery/Battlefield, GCMA9V Britton Lane, and GC1BC Lionel Booth's Folly (sadly archived). Just read the story of LBF in a biography of Gen. Forrest today at lunch.