Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Cameron Brown Park

My geocaching career has taken myself to many parks in the Tennessee.  In Madison County, I have been to every park and some parks about a half-dozen times.  As for Memphis, I've been to many parks but not all and Cameron Brown was a park that I've never set foot.  Typically, my trips to Memphis are on my job and cache hunts can't take a lot of time and I am not dressed for hiking.  There have been events at the park in the past, but I've been unable to attend.  I would attednd this one:  Geocaching 101/FUNdamentals Class and more .

It was an enjoyable event and haven't been to many events where the host supplied all the food and participates were only asked to bring their own drinks.  Wrath557 was the host and he covered every aspect of the geocaching game.  One of the reasons I wanted to attend the event is that he came up to an event I held in Martin and I wanted to show the same respect.

Days prior to the event, I posted my intention of attending the event and my plan to cache out the park while in the area.  While not as typical as with events from years ago, back then many cachers would go on cache runs prior to an event.  I wasn't in the mood to go after park and grabs and settled to go after all the caches in the park.  I knew the difficulties of caching in the 90+ degree heat and since the park is near the Wolf River, I wouldn't have to worry about hills, but there would be ditches and briars.  The Facebook post invited anyone to attend the hike and I provided my number.  While there was some interest, dhrnrcpa would be the only one to commit to the hike.  We arrived just after 3 pm and went after the caches in clockwise motion to end the run on a puzzle and most difficult cache.  What we thought would be least difficult cache Other Side of the Fence would be the most difficult and resulted in a DNF.  After the event, we were guided by MorWoods and made the find before heading home.

Our favorite was  The Key is the Key.  We went to the posted coordinates and found nothing.  We expanded our seach and still nothing.  We had given up and heading towards the event where dhrnrcpa easily found the cache.  It took much effort to open the lock and some phone calls, but persistance paid off and I gave it a favorite point.

It took us just a little over 2 hours to cache out the park.  I guess our hike was about 2 miles and we did negotiate around some ditches that I predicted would be there.  We also took some breaks to cool off including a break under a highway to get into the shade.

No comments: