Tuesday, June 5, 2012

GW X Part Three

Day of Geo-Woodstock had finally arrived.  And, boy it was hot!!!!  The GW X shirt I received the day before, being a solid color of black would not be worn on this day.

On this day, I intended to break my single day icon record, which had been at five.  I ended up with six icons, beginning with Edison House.  I had already grabbed the answers by researching online to make the visit a little quicker.  Like most caching during a Geo-Woodstock, a cacher was at the location obtaining answers when we arrived.  I showed Carolina Thomas Edison's house prior to him being fired and then becoming a famous inventor.  We traveled to Sellersburg, IN and after finding a couple of traditional caches we arrived at Geo-Woodstock X.  The park was huge and there were hundreds of cachers in the area.  We had also stopped in the parking lot to observe the many decal travel bugs on vehicles.  We made some attempts to socialize, however the heat made standing at any location other than shade miserable.  I grabbed several caches in the park to include a Whereigo.  After finding a couple of traditional cachers, I observed a cacher with an iPad and asked what he was seeking, he told me the Whereigo.  I asked if I could tag alone and he said "no problem", as we neared the final coordinates, our little group had grown to about a dozen.  I signed off on the Whereigo and met with with Abiectio and grabbed a couple of more caches in the park.  We settled in a shady area and then I noticed it was lunch time.  I met up with my entourage for lunch and we talked about what to do next.  With the intense heat, we found the remaining traditional cachers in the park.  We life and we grabbed a puzzle and a multi.  During the hunt for the multi we met with Lizzie60 and Shan7on, cachers we knew from Tennessee.  I completed six icons and I was done for that part of the day.

We got on I-65 and headed towards Henryville, IN where a tornado was virtually leveled the town a couple of months prior.  We stopped at Fairtales and chatted with the cache owner about the storm.  We looked around the town grabbed a couple more caches and after a stop at a flea market headed back to Louisville for the motel.

An observation I have made from mega events; hunting any cache within 20 miles of a large event, one should expect other cachers to be at the location or arrive while one is hunting or signing the log.  It's just part of the game and one should enjoy the social aspect of a mega event.

No comments: