Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Camp Beauregard

Being a Civil War buff, I had heard about Camp Beauregard near Water Valley, Kentucky. I wanted to place a geocache there however, I didn't know the precise location of the camp that is now a cemetery. A cache was placed there and I took the opportunity to find and visit Camp Beauregard. I took a few pictures and saw many Confederate soldier graves. The camp provided the right flank of the larger base at Columbus on the Mississippi River and when Confederate troops retreated from Columbus, the camp near Water Valley was abandoned as well. For most of the soldiers buried in the cemetery near the cache, very few if none every saw any combat. Disease claimed the lives of many enlisted teenage boys and young men in their early 20's. I wanted to tell about this cache since this is the 150th Anniversary of the War Against Northern Aggression. Cacher or not, the place is worth a visit.

No comments: