Monday, February 7, 2011

"You did them all?!"

Teamed up this past weekend with pcsenn and Pharmd93 for a cache run in the Collierville area. I had set my sights on Flip Dizzy Loves Jelly Beans for the unique terrain/difficulty rating. I also set my sights to complete all the caches in that same park as well. When I arrived at the events for 76Stinger and Jaybirder, I were asked "How many did you get?", the reply was "got them all" and jaws dropped. They knew and we would find out on the trail why the jaws dropped. The terrain and unforgiving, the trails, if they could be called trails didn't have a pattern and were more of ruts than anything else.

I have been to the park once before, grabbing Caching A,B,Z's and More Fun than a barrel of monkeys and knew that park has a paved and unpaved trails. As we ventured further into the park, we did much bushwacking, wading through water and trying to find one trail after another. The cache De-Hydration took a lot out of us getting through the brush. After finding that cache we found a trail and continued to head west. Prior to De-Hydration we found Wild Turkey without any trouble. As we continued west, we found Mirror, mirror. With that find came the most difficult task of navigating to The Saga of the Frozen Dozen. I was having second thoughts at that point but we continued the mission studying the terrain we could see, using the high ground and the topographical map on my GPS. Crossing water was the biggest challenge. Pharmd93 noticed a long 2X4 laying around and we put it across the water and crossed it. Where my 2X4 came from, who knows.... Found The Saga of the Frozen Dozen and then went onto Penny's Worth of Trouble. With that cache having a rope can in handy once again. After that cache we wanted to head towards the parking lot, pscenn noticed the sewer covers in the area and noticed the easement. We headed south and found a better path back to the parking lot picking up the mystery Say What? . My military experience was useful to solve this cache.

After that agonizing nearly six miles of hiking, we picked up Silo Mentality. This cache was fun, but it was an open area and we really felt the cold wind trying to find this one. With 45 minutes before the events, we drove over to LPS001 where pscenn and Pharmd93 had the honor to place their names on the oldest geocache in Tennessee.

After the event, I set my sights on a multi. Story of that will be continued......

No comments: