Thursday, February 10, 2011

5 Icons in a Day

A couple of weeks ago I noticed 5-ICON "In a Day" Caching Challenge I-40 RS East and figured I had that one in the bag since I had a 5-icon in day in July 2008 while caching in Michigan and Ontario. However, after further reading, I had to do this 5-Icon in a day all over again since the cache page reads that my busy day has to be after December 1, 2009. I had cleared much of my surrounding area and but I am keeping some caches in reserve for easy finds to color in a day on my 366 days of caching stats. I pondered what to do; this would be a difficult task. I did notice a Mega event near Mt. Vernon, IL coming up in March. I could get a two-fer with a Mega and Event cache the same day, near same location but different times. Looked around, there is a wherigo cache, but I am not equipped for those, thus I don't much attention to those types of caches. Noticed a mystery nearby but it requires a GPS that can pick up the chirp device, so I am not equipped for that either. Only the Garmin Oregon and 62 with correct downloaded software can pick up the beacon.

While caching with pcsenn and Pharmd93, I informed both of them that after the events of the day, they would be only one icon short of the goal and suggested the earthcache at the Hatchie River National Wildlife Refuge. Turned out Pcsenn had already completed that earthcache. At least Pharmd93 could get the 5-Icon challenge. But after some researching after the event, there was a short multi, Old Wagon Trail in Collierville. We all competed that cache, which was fun and interesting. On the way back we found the 5-Icon challenge. Which by the way, is the third cache that has been placed on that end of the rest stop on I-40, the fifth total at the stop. On the way home, we picked up West Tennessee-Silt 'loess' Deposits-Earthcache. While signing the log, we had only 4-icons, we knew would get the cache since a DNF at an earthcache is highly remote.

No comments: