Friday, May 2, 2008

Shelby Farms

For nearly a year, my job takes me to Memphis on at least a monthly basis. Normally, I would choose to do the P&G caches, good for numbers and keep going. Back in August, I was busted by Circle K contract security at a gas station micro. They are not pleased with the game, me being where I was (side of a car wash) and the cache being there. I began to rethink my caching efforts and now I am gun-shy of P&G caches that are in busy areas, can't disguise what I am doing (pretend to use the payphone) or use my truck to block what I am doing at a light pole or guard rail.

In 2008, my cache numbers are down to 6 finds a week, verses 12 per week in 2006. But on the bright side, I am going after more physically challenging caches and targeting Shelby Farms more often. While there is a muggle presence in Shelby Farms, I figure any encounter in the park will result in a positive experience.

I have been to Shelby Farms once before. In spring of 2006, I drove down to participate in the GOWT CITO. My time was very limited and had my two young daughters with me. We knocked out the virtual and attended the CITO. I been back to the park again to go after the West TN Mega Multi Up the Creek Up the Wolf. This week, I returned to look at getting Alexis' Cache, but unable to go after it with the high winds. I spent the rest of the lunch hour and found Welcome to Geocaching, Christmas 2005, A Sturdy Bridge and Pandora's Box. I enjoyed the adventure in the park and plan to return on future visits to Memphis. I will only be about to get 1-3 caches at a time and will probably stay away from the long hike multi's for the time being.

No comments: