Friday, March 14, 2008

Caching in Southeast Missouri


If one looks at my profile, it shows well over 1,000 finds in Tennessee, Kentucky is next with over 200 finds, followed by Mississippi with over 30 finds. After that, the other states have less than a dozen finds and Missouri with one find. A hurry-up and get the cache for the state in Caruthersville, just across the Mississippi River from Dyersburg, Tennessee.


Pharmd93 called about making a cache run on Sunday, March 9. We agreed on working Southeast Missouri to improve on the stats and not show just one find in a state about 50 miles from our home area.


We had to cross the rivers at Cairo, IL; crossing the Ohio and then Mississippi Rivers on a narrow two-lane bridge. Neither bridges make my most favorite bridge list, with both being so narrow. We began our first cache at Mounds in New Madrid. This marked my first ever visit to New Madrid, MO. New Madrid is just 50 miles from Dresden, but a river separates the two. New Madrid is also famous for the early 1800's massive earthquake. The cache location was unusual, a very high mound in a very flat part of the country. Cache was well stocked.


Next cache was Swift Ditch Access, the only hiking cache of the day, about 1,200 feet from parking. This cache had very good camo using the modern military pixel design. The cache was well stocked and information page in plastic attached to the ammo can. One of the most professional caches I have ever found. Area was interesting too, follow the hill from the cache and there was a river.


I found seven caches on that run, but want to highlight another cache, Airport Park (Veteran's Park). Even with the cold wind gusting, we enjoyed looking for the final stage of this multi and viewing the military displays. One of the displays was a US Navy F-4, an fighter-bomber that I used to see during my time in the US Navy from 1985-1989.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

PharmD93 said...

I had good time, it was a nice day for caching. I got to see some places I've never been before. I particularly liked the "Swift Ditch Access" cache. It was very well done. I also the area where the "Holy Overlook" cache is was very impressive. Thanks for letting me tag along.