Thursday, February 7, 2008

Scary Loop

After I begun caching, I noticed the cache called Scary Loop Cache by Yogi and Dolphin and saw it was in Carroll County. About a year into my job with DCS, I was transferred to the Paris office and worked Carroll County, therefore I had a little knowledge of the area. But I worked Carroll County for just over a year and didn't know about this area. Studied the cache page and learned more about the haunted Palestine Church. I knew I wanted to find this cache.

On July 12, 2005, I ventured off course and found the cache after many back roads. At the time, all I had was a Garmin Legend and a Tennessee Delorme Map. GPSr played tricks on my and wondered if a ghost was haunting the signal. After much searching, I decoded the hint and found the cache. Later, I took the time to look inside the church and the nearby graveyard.

Later, on June 10, 2006; I was in the area again, this time with cannotreadgps, she wanted to see the church. We attended the GOWT BBQ hosted by Yogi & Dolphin earlier in the day and drove to Jackson for Mackheath's 1K event. Afterwards, we got back on I-40 and back towards Carroll County, this time using the Garmin 60cs with auto routing. Routing it did, one turn after another turn for another turn. We were about worn out making all the turns when we arrived at the cache location. Cannotreadgps found the cache and we began to look around, when a truck pulled up, three muggles got out of the truck, the man driving asked what we were doing, I explained to him of geocaching. Turned out, he was the Sheriff of Carroll County! He wanted to know more about GPS and Geocaching. I showed him the cache and the GPS.

We continued to look around and went inside the old church. Technically, this cache is a Park and Grab, not requiring any hiking; the history is all worth the trip. Thankfully, this cache gets regular activity, even with its remote location, I guess since it's not far from I-40. This is a must do cache.

3 comments:

Mackheath said...

It took me two trips to get this cache. It was missing the first time I went. It was a peaceful place and definitely out of the way.

WT said...

Thanks for sharing your story about this great cache!

dalls said...

This is a GREAT and MUST do cache.