Friday, March 6, 2015

Long trip to Waco

Having been retired from the Tennessee Army National Guard for over 2 years; I have still maintained some contact with my old unit, 1171st Transportation Company in Dresden, TN.  Late one week, someone posted that they needed a ride that would require overnight, travel would be on Sunday March 1 and return Monday March 2.  I have plenty of annual leave and posted a repy that I could assist.  I would later learn the trip was to take me to Waco, TX.  After learning the destination, I began plotting geocachers to seek.

The trip to Waco, I would have company and since we didn't leave his home in Humboldt, TN until after 12 noon, I was aware that caching along the way would be limited.

I set up a priority of caches to seek and was not going to concern myself with numbers.  Caches on the Jasmer list were my highest priority and I did fill in three months to include the oldest cache in State of Texas, which is Tombstone.  Another on my priority list was The Grassy Knoll in Dallas, where President Kennedy was shot.  I found that one to be the most interesting and thankful it was a virtual since there were so many people around.  There were several panhandlers provided details of the shooting, one in particular showed me around for details.  I gladly paid him a $10 tip for his assistance.

Began my return trip to Dresden from Dallas at about 11 pm.  All together the day would be about 14 hours on the road and 750 miles.    The second priority was to grab a few caches east of Little Rock, Arkansas to color in about 3 counties along I-40.  Detouring away from construction, I ended up on Hwy 70, grabbing 3 of that series to color in 3 counties.

No comments: