Sunday, October 20, 2013

Run through southern IL

Continued my efforts for the 5-state Travelers Challenge.  Began the day needing 9 finds and an icon for the state of IL and would accomplish that mission.  Drove to Vienna, IL, a location that I attempted to make finds when I made visits to the VA center in Marion, IL.  Back then I had no luck making any finds.  Today, it was much easier, first find a light pole.  Second find was an interesting park at Vienna Old Depot, learned that this site was part of the Trail of Tears.  Left Vienna and went after the cache I really wanted, Wildcat Cemetery Rd..  GPS took me to an isolated area to a small cemetery.  There were a few Union Civil War veterans buired here.  Later, as I visited more cemeteries, I would find many more Union veterans.  Finding the puzzle cache gave me my 5th icon for the state of IL.

Spent the rest of the day making easy finds.  Will note that my stop at Kingston was a little different.  GPS took me to a cedar tree and the geo-trail was very worn.  Called a friend of mine and re-directed to another location.  Searched that location and came up empty.  Gave up on the cache and walked around the cemetery and over 100 feet from post coordinates I found the container with many bite makes.  Small animals had found the cache and had moved it.  I replaced the cache where the PAF told me to look.

No comments: