Tuesday, May 4, 2010

10 Years! -Kuwait!


Was deployed to Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in late Feburary, my company, the 1171st Transportation Co. had already been in Kuwait about 6 weeks prior to my arrival. I started caching at Camp Arifjan the first week I was in-country. Later, after reading the 10 year birthday party events being set up back home. I came up with an idea to create an event in Kuwait. After a few emails with the region reviewer, I set up 10 Years! -Kuwait. Just after listing the event, Airooster posts a will attend. I sent invitations to other cachers who had been visting Arifjan, some would attend, some could not, due to being on missions, R&R leave or re-deployment home.


The event was fun with many stories about geocaching and making friends. I soon found that one of the Chaplians of the new brigade that recently moved in is also a geocacher, chapredeb. Two US Navy officers showed up, having just arrived at Arifjan 45 minutes before the event. One of them, jeepnjudy has visited two Geo-Woodstocks.


The following day, I revisited the most of the geocaches at Arifjan; the 3rd time for Zone 6, with jeepnjudy and I found 3 that I had not found. After the archiving of one cache, I have found all at Arifjan. We ended up walking 3-4 miles and on the way back to Zone 6 in the rain, chapredeb saw us and gave us a ride after seeing us with Garmins hanging on our necks.

No comments: