Monday, May 11, 2009

They Checked Out

My daughter signed up for a job shadow at Wickliffe Mounds State Historical Park in Kentucky and would work there all day. Being that Wickliffe is over an hour from Dresden, TN; I thought it would be best to just take the day off and geocache the Paducah area.

There was one cache I set my sights on and that being They Checked Out. Since it's placement on July 19, 2007, I have wanted to find this cache and see this historic hotel. I would not be disappointed when I arrived at the cache location in Smithland, Kentucky. The hotel has been around since the last 1700's and two US Presidents and other dignitaries visited the hotel that is situated overlooking the Ohio River.

Coordinates were tight and I found the cache quickly. I took some photos of the building, the overlook and historical markers. Afterwards, I went back to Paducah finding several caches downtown and then onto Wickliffe.

No comments: