Saturday, December 1, 2007

Earthcaches


After finding the earthcaching site, I began to look more into earthcaching. I had found my first earthcache at Pinson Mounds by BigDaddyD on April 19, 2005. I enjoyed the hike up to the platform and having my picture taken. I had been to the museum a few years ago, but that day, I took in the history while at the mound. Later that summer, I found Phosphate is too Large. I learned about the mining industry in the Columbia area. I recently began to find more earthcaches in Middle Tennessee and LBL of Kentucky and seeing a fault line in Nashville, called It's the Cumberland's Fault


In the last few months, earthcaches have taken off, Earthquake Lake was the second earthcache placed in West Tennessee, the third being The Hollow Rock in Hollow Rock, TN. Recently more eartcaches have been placed in West Tennessee and Western Kentucky.


Currently, I have no plans to set up more earthcaches since I have set up enough earthcaches to receive the Platinum Award from geosociety. When I first saw the geosociety site, I didn't figure there would be anywhere to place earthcaches in West Tennessee since there are very few rock formations around. However, with more research, there are many areas for earthcaches in the region, to include river confluences, mining areas, mineral deposits and the historic New Madrid fault line.

1 comment:

flame-red said...

Andrew,

I am not into EarthCaches, and I don't know the guidelines, but I think the "bluff" at Reelfoot is an interesting formation. While not of rock, there have been several important findings at this geological formation. It was caused, reportedly, by the shift of the Earth's crust during the 1811-1812 earthquakes that formed Reelfoot, if I have my information correct.