Monday, November 12, 2007

Land Between the Lakes


Apart of my geocaching adventure is finding caches in the US Government owned forest called LBL, or Land Between the Lakes. Caching nearly three years, I have passed through the LBL a number of times and have found numerous caches in the region, which have included three night caches. I have also attended three River Valley events in the LBL and they have been fun.


My first major cache run of the LBL was with cachestalker94 and Mackheath. I put up a notice on the GOWT forum of my intention of a cache run. Mackheath met us just before dawn in Paris and we headed to the LBL. I had met Mackheath once at an event in Memphis. Knowing he had over 800 finds at the time of our cache run I wanted to see how a professional cacher does his caching. At the time, I was at around 200 finds and still struggled with the technology, paper and no maps. Mackheath was unable to get the Pocket Quary onto his PDA and noticed, we had the same approach, a Garmin Legend and lots of paper! I did at least of Mapsource on my Legend, but no auto routing.


We cached all day long to dark, returning with about 13 finds. It was a hard day and keeping up with Mackheath proved to be impossible; found out later, he trains as a marathon runner. Overall, even with 13 finds, it was a positive experience.


This weekend, I again returned to the LBL with Pharmd93 and efbamann. We cached Kuttawa and into the northern LBL and I hit a major milestone. Number 1,500 was Toys with a View it was an awesome cache with a great view. The view was of Lake Barkley of the Cumberland River. I am thankful that I had friends alone for this milestone.


I will return to the LBL and cache more of this outstanding area.

2 comments:

Mackheath said...

After our trip to the LBL I learned how to use Sunrise Desktop to upload troublesome pocket queries. That day we went to the LBL was a great day!

PharmD93 said...

I had a great time! Boy did we do some hiking! LBL has some of the most incredible sights tucked away that you wouldn't normally go looking for except to log a smiley! I really enjoy the cool things to see along the way to the caches there. I've started carrying my camera every time we go caching.

I was glad to take Titansfan on a tour of some of the cool LBL caches I've found. I got to log 3 new ones along the way to boot! The rain couldn't even keep us away! I hope we can have a repeat sometime, maybe with a few more cachers to share it with. It was a really fun trip! Thanks for coming up.