Monday, May 28, 2007

Battle of Franklin


We visited the Battle of Franklin on May 12 en route to the Tennessee Renaissance Festival. Being a American Civil War buff, I wanted to take the time to visit this cache. With me were my daughters, cachestalker94 and minnie mouse.

This is one of the best Civil War geocaches I have visited. The cache page is correct to not focus on the cache but to visit the battlefield. This was my first visit to this battlefield and the visit added to my list of the scores of Civil War battlefields I have visited. Many battlefields are National Parks where geocaches are non-existent. This battlefield is under the control of the City of Franklin. I wish to thank the city for preserving a piece of American Military History for others to witness. This battle was one of the bloodiest fought in Tennessee.

We spent well over an hour in the park. When we arrived a tour group was being led around by a guide and he was talking about the battle. The group stood between us and the geocache, so we took the time to visit and take pictures of all the monuments and historical markers. I have added all the pictures onto the cache page. A muggle enquired what we were doing. We explained the sport and gave her the printed cache page. The tour group was not moving, so we discreetly sneaked by the group, found the trail and headed towards the cache. Quickly found the cache and back down the hill we proceeded, again staying quiet not to interfere with the tour group.

After completing this cache, I felt a sense of accomplishment and visited this sacred ground.

No comments: